rules & SUBMISSION Guidelines
Applied Research Competition
This competition assesses the top scholarly security research from the previous year. With eligibility limited to previously published papers or camera-ready papers, this competition has a reputation for drawing some of the best security research worldwide. Student authors whose papers are selected via the Preliminary Review are invited to present at CSAW Finals.
Eligible submissions include papers that meet the following four conditions:
- Paper topic is related to the design, application, or implementation of security technologies
- Paper is published or camera-ready between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018. Both conference papers and journal papers are eligible.
- At least one of the paper authors was a student enrolled at a university located in one of the following regions (below) between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018. Papers are still eligible for submission if the student author graduated during this period.
- Europe: Armenia, the European Union, Norway and Switzerland
- MENA: Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Chad, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Georgia, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen
- North America: Canada, Mexico, and the United States
- A student author is available to present in-person at CSAW Finals
Papers are to be submitted via EasyChair. First time users will be asked to create an EasyChair account.
Track & University Affiliation
Users will be asked to select their track based on the region or country where the student author’s university is located, as defined below. Track selection is important because it determines the CSAW region where finalists will compete.
CSAW Europe: for any student author enrolled at a university located in Armenia, the European Union, Norway, or Switzerland.
CSAW India: for any student author enrolled at a university located in India.
CSAW Israel: for any student author enrolled at a university located in Israel.
CSAW MENA: for any student author enrolled at a university located in Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Chad, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Georgia, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, or Yemen
CSAW North America: for any student author enrolled at a university located in Canada, Mexico, or the United States
Multiple University Affiliations
Should your published paper have more than one university affiliation, please select the track based on the university affiliation of the student author who is expected to present at Finals if selected during the preliminary review round.
Papers should be submitted as a PDF file, maintaining the original template that was required by the publisher or conference.
Follow this link to submit your paper via EasyChair:
Submissions will be accepted from 7 May 2018 through 9 September 2018. Individual CSAW regions may decide to extend submission deadlines. Any extensions will be posted on EasyChair.
Preliminary Review Process
After the submission phase closes, papers are reviewed and assessed by practitioners, academics, and industry experts. Each CSAW region has their own preliminary review committee. For each of region, the strongest papers will be identified, and finalists — typically, the first student author of the paper — will be invited to compete on-site at Finals. We anticipate that 10 papers will be selected per region.
Submission authors -- finalists and non-finalists -- will be notified of their status via email by 13 October 2018.
Finalist teams will then be asked to identify the student author (“finalist”) who will present their team’s research in-person at CSAW Finals.
Following notification, a list of published papers will be posted on the CSAW website.
A Travel Award is provided to the student author (“finalist”) who is invited to present their team’s research at CSAW Finals. Travel Awards vary by region. Typically, transportation and lodging (hotel or residence hall), and meals are provided free of cost and/or reimbursed to finalists following CSAW Finals. Teams will be provided details when they are invited to Finals.
CSAW Final Dates & Locations
8 - 11 November 2018
Conference agendas and competition times vary by location. See regional webpages for details.
CSAW'18 Finals will be hosted at five global academic centers. The location where finalists compete is based on the finalists’ university affiliation, as follows:
- CSAW Europe at Grenoble INP - Esisar (Valence, France), hosting finalists from universities located in Armenia, the European Union, Norway, and Switzerland
- CSAW India at Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (Kanpur, India), hosting finalists from universities located in India
- CSAW Israel co-hosted by Ben-Gurion University and the IBM Cybersecurity Center of Excellence, hosting finalists from universities located in Israel
- CSAW MENA at the Higher School of Communications of Tunis (Sup’Com, Ariana, Tunisia), hosting finalists from universities located in Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Chad, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Georgia, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen
- CSAW North America at NYU Tandon School of Engineering (Brooklyn, New York, USA), hosting finalists from universities located in the United States, Canada, and Mexico
Participation in CSAW Finals is contingent upon competitors' ability to enter the given country where CSAW is being hosted. Should travel restrictions prevent a finalist’s ability to present in-person, CSAW will make allowances for remote or videotaped presentations.
Presentation formats vary slightly per region, but generally, finalists have 10 minutes to present their papers to a panel of judges, followed by question and answer and a poster session for the general public. Judges typically hold senior management or high-level research positions within the security industry.
A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner is identified for each region.
Prizes vary by region. Please check the appropriate CSAW webpage for details.
Please direct your inquiries as follows: